Monday, May 24, 2010

Waist Deep in the Buskin

Last weekend, Joe took me fishing. He knows that I'm a spoiled rotten princess and need conditions to be perfect before I'll go and last Saturday, those conditions presented themselves. It was hovering just above "too cold", the wind was calm, the lake was potentially fertile with fish, and I had some new waders that I wanted to try out. Plus, fishing was a much needed break from house cleaning.

Joe got everything ready, helped me wedge into my waders, and drove us down to Buskin Lake, which is about 2 miles from our house. The day was gorgeous and there were only a few people fishing on the bank of the lake. I wondered where we would plant ourselves and Joe pointed across the lake to a quiet, empty spot in the water. I looked for the trail that would take us over to the spot and quickly realized there wasn't one. My waders (and balance) were getting a true test because we were navigating to the spot through waist-deep water precariously lined with slippery rocks. Thank goodness I spent so much time last year perfecting the strength of my stabilizer muscles because I easily made it through the soft current with barely a stumble. The neoprene of my waders sucked tightly onto my legs and torso, but not a single ounce of water soaked through. This was really cool!

We got to the spot and threw out our lines. It was iffy as to whether or not we'd catch anything but I didn't care because I loved the feeling of standing in the middle of the lake with the pressure of the water heavy against my body. There were patches of powder blue sky, the air was calm and carried the sounds of birds, bugs and splashing fish, the landscape around us was expansive and magical with rolling hills and snow-capped mountains, and Joe was right there, full of patience,  giving me pointers and support. There was something meditative about casting and reeling, casting and reeling, even if the fish completely ignored me.


Best of all, an otter popped his head out of the water right in front of me and I absolutely love otters. If I had to pick an animal that embodied who I feel I am, it would be an otter.  He might have visited longer (and I might have gotten a picture) but I started hopping up and down and squealing to Joe that I had seen an otter, so the poor little guy took off to try to get away from the crazy lady. I think I scared away all of the fish too because between Joe and I, only one fish was caught and it was a tiny one, too young to realize he was in a dangerous spot.


We didn't end up staying very long because the wind started picking up, but it was a good afternoon and a new adventure for me. I also noticed that Joe's happiness tank was filled up a little more because of the time he got to spend with his two favorite things: me and his fishing pole. I really need to stop being such a princess and do this more often.....Joe deserves it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment