Sunday, May 23, 2010

Fort Abercrombie

I woke up this morning to a gray sky, a realization that we had missed church, and Joe saying, "Want to take a drive today?"

"Sure!", I exclaimed, excited that I wouldn't be stuck in the house all day doing laundry and whining about the lack of blue skies we've been experiencing. Spending a day with Joe exploring our island home sounded fantastic. We jumped out of bed, scarfed down our oatmeal and yogurt, filled our travel mugs with coffee, threw Jack and our raincoats in the truck and headed out, hopeful that the rain would hold off for the afternoon.

We have lived here for almost four months and have only explored about half of the 100 miles of paved roads that Kodiak offers. Our drive today ended up being relatively simple and landed us at Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park. Fort Abercrombie is about 8 miles from our house and has hiking trails, campsites, WWII building remnants, and a military museum. I was awed by how beautiful it was. Let me show you a little bit of what we saw:

The forest is filled with moss-covered trees. I loved all of the patterns and shapes that were created by the bright green bulbous blobs of moss.

There were so many branches on all of the trees. Wouldn't it be fun to climb this one?

 The trail around Lake Abercrombie had gentle slopes and turns and was very easy to navigate. I had no trouble hiking it in my Converse. :)

We found a happy tree and put on our biggest smiles. Joe looks kind of scary with his biggest smile on.

 There were beautiful coves and beaches. When we were actually in spots by the water, the wind was very cold so we didn't hang out long.


Joe tried to convince me that I would get a weird flesh-eating bacterial growth (cephlopodic worms) on my chin if I held the moss too close to my face and I tried to convince him that his mom would love to see a picture of him with a moss beard....

I won!


If you come visit us, I'll tell you what was so funny in this picture. :)


The day turned out perfectly. The clouds never released their droplets and we didn't get eaten by a brown bear. We got to explore and enjoy another little part of our island. Best of all, we got to spend time enjoying each other in God's magnificent playground. I love it when Joe wakes up with an itch for an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment