Thursday, June 17, 2010

The reality of my days

I always wake up with good intentions: I'm going to get the house super clean, get some laundry done, write a blog or two, have coffee with a friend, design a few of the web pages that I'm very behind on, and maybe spend an hour or two working out. Oh, and plan, shop for, and cook a new, delicious, amazingly healthy dinner.

What really happens: I wake up, cook our oatmeal and chat with Joe until he leaves for work. I pile the breakfast dishes in the sink (the dishwasher is already full of clean dishes.....I'll put them away later), look out the windows for traces of sunshine, find only clouds and head back to bed for a couple of hours. I get up, mad that I wasted two good hours sleeping, and head to the office to sit in front of the sunlamp and write a blog about my fabulous weekend/idea/memory. I get distracted on facebook and then on iPhoto instead. Joe comes home for lunch and I'm still in my jammies.  I feel guilty so I unload the dishwasher and load up the dirty dishes. I start to tidy up the living room then remember I have a coffee date in 30 minutes so instead  jump in the shower and brush my teeth. The coffee date is fantastic and lasts almost 2 hours. On my drive home I get slowly bummed out as the incessant clouds suck away my joy with whatever unexplainable power they seem to have over me. I head back up to the office to sit in front of the sunlamp for a little bit and get a few web pages done. Joe comes home and I realize I forgot to go shopping for dinner. I throw an emergency pizza in the oven and feel guilty the whole time I eat it because it is dripping with fat and excessive calories. Joe and I spend some time together watching a movie or playing some Guitar Hero.  My day ends with a bubble bath and some crossword puzzles then  I head to bed. The house isn't clean, I didn't work out, I never wrote a blog, and we had pizza. Does this make me a failure? Nah. I got to have coffee with a friend, spend time with Joe, get some web pages done, and have a bubble bath. Oh, and Joe really likes pizza. :) Would I call this day a complete success? Nope. I was capable of so much more than I did and there was a lot of wasted time.

Now, when I look out the windows and I actually do see sunshine my day is drastically different - more like I intended it to be and I get a lot done. Sunshine energizes me. It's like fuel for my "getting things accomplished" tank. This is the reason that I try to use the sunlamp as much as possible when I can't get real sun.

Yes, I'm a bit disappointed in the way my days have been going and I'm working on ways to improve them. Joe needs me to do my part around the house as it helps him relax after a long day at work. When I keep that in the forefront of my mind it helps because I truly want him to be happy. Today, it is cloudy and I'm managing to stay on the ball. I've already cleaned the kitchen and gotten a blog written!

Keep praying for me, please, but don't spend any time worrying about me. Overall, I'm still quite happy and appreciative of my life. I'm blessed beyond belief!

No comments:

Post a Comment