Thursday, January 13, 2011

Night Shoveling


I've always loved the song "Nightswimming" by R.E.M. and tonight as I stepped outside and looked at the driveway, I couldn't help but to start humming the song. I changed the lyrics a little in my head...
Night Shov'ling,
Deserves a snowy night....

Yeah, we got at least 10 inches of snow today. We went to bed last night and there was no snow on the ground at all. I peacefully slept, completely oblivious to the forecast of a predicted 18 inches today. It sure arrived, in all of it's white, fluffy gloriousness. And it's due to continue....all night. Hope we can get out of our awfully sloped driveway in the morning. Hence the shoveling tonight.

Just like the second line in the song, it was a very quiet night...only the sound of our shovels breaking the still, dark, snowy air. And even though shoveling in and of itself isn't pleasant work, the whole situation directed my brain towards humming one of my favorite songs, which makes me think I must have been happy doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment